Erectile dysfunction causes and solutions
Erectile dysfunction is the most commonly reported male sexual health problem, affecting an estimated 30 million men in the United States. All too often, when affected men speak to their doctors, they are simply given a prescription with little thought to the underlying cause or to the individual’s health needs. As one of the nation’s leading male health experts, Dr. Buch takes a more thorough and precise approach to diagnostics and treatment. He strives to provide effective solutions for erectile dysfunction and other health concerns.
Are you at risk?
There are a number of myths surrounding erectile dysfunction. The most prevalent is that it’s a normal part of aging. Although erectile dysfunction is more common in older men, it can occur at any age for various reasons. The most prevalent risk factors include:
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Use of recreational drugs or certain prescription medications
- Smoking or other nicotine use
- High cholesterol
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Cardiovascular disease
The importance of accurate diagnosis
The only symptom of erectile dysfunction is the frequent or constant inability to achieve and maintain an erection. Therefore, it is often self-diagnosed. Men tend to simply seek solutions from their doctors, assuming they already know the problem. However, diagnostics go beyond merely confirming that you have erectile dysfunction. It is important to discover the underlying cause.
Contrary to popular belief, erectile dysfunction is not just about your ability to have sex. It is often a warning sign of other medical problems. The leading cause of erectile dysfunction is Low T (low testosterone), which can bring a host of other symptoms, including fatigue, difficulty concentrating, hair loss, increased body fat, and more.
Schedule an Appointment online today.
Decreased blood flow to the penis is another common cause of erectile dysfunction. In this case, the crucial question is why blood flow is reduced. This can be the first symptom of vascular problems such as heart disease or hardening of the arteries. Other serious medical conditions, such as diabetes, can inhibit blood flow.
Further possible causes of erectile dysfunction and sexual problems in men include nerve damage, effects of cancer treatment or surgery, and side effects of medications. Emotional and psychological factors can also play a role, although erectile dysfunction is a physical medical condition in most cases.
Finding healthy male erection problem solutions in the Dallas, Texas area
The best-known erectile dysfunction treatment is Viagra, a prescription ED dysfunction medication that increases penile blood flow. It works well, providing the man is a good candidate, but it is not necessarily the best solution for every man. Dr. Buch begins with a lengthy discussion about the frequency and severity of your erectile dysfunction, any other symptoms you may be experiencing, and your medical history. He follows up with blood tests or further diagnostics if needed.
Once a complete diagnosis is attained, Dr. Buch will discuss your options. Depending on the situation, this may include:
- Testosterone therapy – There are several potential solutions when the problem is Low T. Dr. Buch will inquire if you intend to father children because standard testosterone replacement can cause infertility. Men who suffer from Low T and wish to father children can find relief with advanced treatments that preserve fertility.
- Oral medication – This may be the familiar Viagra or another medicine such as Stendra, Cialis, or Levitra.
- Injectable medication – In most cases, when a man needs medication, the oral formulas mentioned above are effective. However, when they are not sufficient, a medication delivered directly to the penis via self-injection may be necessary. This method utilizes a super-fine needle, and Dr. Buch will advise you about gentle, comfortable injection techniques.
- VCD (vacuum constriction device) – This is a special type of pump that may allow a man to achieve an erection with the assistance of vacuum pressure. A small, discreet band placed on the penis helps maintain the erection during intercourse.
- GAINSWave – Low-intensity shock wave treatments of the penis that are not painful and stimulate a healing response of the failing erection mechanism within the penis.
Help is just a phone call away!
Erectile dysfunction can impact a man’s confidence, romantic relationships, and quality of life, as well as possibly signaling a more serious health problem. You don’t have to “just live with it.” One of the country’s most skilled and experienced male health physicians is right here in Dallas, TX. Just call (972) 996-7177 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Buch.