Male health expert explains erectile dysfunction treatment options available in Dallas, TX
In our culture, sexual performance plays a big role in male self-esteem. That can cause feelings of discomfort when erectile dysfunction (ED) is a problem. However, it is important to discuss it with a qualified medical professional. With decades of experience, Dr. Jeffrey Buch has helped countless men in the Dallas, TX area regain function and confidence – without embarrassment.
Can erectile dysfunction be cured?
This is a question commonly posed to Dr. Buch by his patients. The answer is a qualified yes. In many cases, with effective treatment, ED can be dramatically improved or completely resolved. Erectile dysfunction is a symptom, so key to achieving good results is determination of the underlying causes, whether they be physical, chemical, emotional, or a combination.
Is ED serious?
Erectile dysfunction is not new. The earliest recorded reference is credited to Samhita of Sushruta in eighth century BC India. By the middle ages, it was believed to be caused by witchcraft. In the 1500s, Leonardo da Vinci revealed some of the science behind the condition, but it has only received genuine medical attention in the country for about the last 40 years.
So, is ED serious? It can be. Inability to achieve or maintain an erection can be an indication of a dangerous underlying health concern such as low testosterone levels, hypertension (elevated blood pressure), hardening of the arteries, diabetes, or sexually-transmitted disease. Relatively simple clinical tests can bring the real issue to light. Treating the condition may not only resolve ED; it could save your life.
If medical testing rules out related health problems, Dr. Buch talks with you about other factors that may be affecting erections, such as:
- Prostate surgery
- Radiation therapy
- Relationship issues
In most cases, starting the conversation and understanding that there are valid causes of ED is a tremendous relief. With Dr. Buch’s compassionate guidance, the condition can be treated with beneficial results.
Schedule an Appointment online today.
Ignoring ED ultimately increases stress levels, which can make it worse. Attempting to treat it yourself with home remedies or gadgets can be harmful. Plus, improvement, if any, is generally short-lived.
Medical treatment options have come a long way. They include:
- Nutrition and lifestyle adjustments – Changes that help to get diabetes and high blood pressure under control, including healthy eating, regular exercise, smoking cessation, and reduction in alcohol consumption.
- Emotional health and relationship counseling – Dr. Buch provides discreet referral to qualified counselors.
- Sound wave therapy – Low-level sound waves stimulate growth of new blood vessels in the penis, for long-term improvement in ED. Treatment is non-invasive, painless, and convenient with a success rate of 75 percent and results that last up to two years.
- Oral medications – The penis becomes filled with blood during an erection, providing the rigidity necessary for sex. If a medical condition inhibits blood flow, this cannot occur. Pills for ED are PDE5 (phosphodiesterase type 5) inhibitors. They increase levels of nitric oxide in the body. This substance helps to relax blood vessels, encouraging normal flow for erection.
- Injections – Alprostadil, which is prostaglandin E1 or PGE1, a vasodilator, is injected into the penis to increase blood flow.
- Suppositories – Alprostadil can also be administered by penal suppository, about ten minutes before an erection is desired.
- Vacuum constriction – This device uses vacuum pressure to create an erection; then a constricting ring at the base of the penis helps to maintain stiffness.
- Surgical implant – Flexible or inflatable prostheses are implanted into erection chambers in the penis maintaining a semi-rigid state that can easily be adjusted to fully-erect. This treatment is generally reserved only for cases where a distinct medical situation (such as spinal cord injury or trauma to the penis) render other options ineffective.
Erectile dysfunction is more than an awkward secret. It can occur at any age, and sadly prevents many couples from conceiving children. It can even strain a long-term relationship to the breaking point. Please acknowledge ED as the quality of life issue it is, and seek professional help.
Dr. Buch and his team at Legacy Male Health have been helping men in the Dallas, TX area face and overcome male health issues such as erectile dysfunction for more than 30 years. The state-of-the art facility houses leading edge technologies and instruments, as well as an in-house lab. Dr. Buch is world-renowned for his innovative approach, scientific expertise, and microsurgical skills in male fertility.
Call (972) 996-7177 to schedule a consultation at Legacy Male Health on Warren Parkway in Frisco, or use our convenient online appointment booking service.